Tuesday, March 2, 2021

5/5/5 Challenge

I saw a version of this on Coast Fitness's IG page and it inspired me to do a new blog post. I love when I see something that inspires me to write and express myself and hopefully jump starts my creative juices into some new blog posts. 

What I Love to Do
1) Document my life.
My kids always ask why I take so many pictures, and man I hope one day they appreciate having them and don't look back and think I missed out on things because I was too busy taking pictures instead of living in the moments with them. This last year I've worked hard at putting my phone down and being in the moment more and realized how much I enjoyed it. I still take a ridiculous amount of photos, but in the last year I've done more than I ever did before! 

Here I am, participating rather than documenting. This was a fun idea of a new way for Jordie to practice his spelling words for the week. He LOVED this time with me and I loved the time with him too. Make the time to do silly stuff that makes them happy and makes them smile. Those are the moments they will remember.


Big truth moment here. I deleted this photo several times before deciding to share it. It's not a flattering picture of me and for a split second I thought that someone might look at it and think "ew, why would she put that up there" but I did what I tell my kids to do...forget what others think and do what makes you happy. So I'm sharing the photo of my back fat covered in my son's spelling words for the week, and my daughters scribbles, because I'm hopeful years down the road they will read this post and be proud that I shared it, because I am proud of me for fighting the demons inside that tell me I shouldn't. This photo to me holds memories of laughter and a fun moment with my kids, and THAT is what REALLY matters! 

2) Be social and talk to people. Covid has been hard on the extrovert that I can be. I love connecting with people (over a cup of tea is my favorite way) through shared experiences and conversations about our lives. I so miss those moments and I really hope that one day that will again be a big part of my life. I can't wait for this pandemic to be under control and we can all go back to our (new) normal lives that will include not wearing masks and finally walking in stores and being able to see smiling faces again! 

3) Enjoy quiet alone time. This is a new thing for me over the past 10 years. Becoming a mother changed me in so many ways! 10 years ago I would have never wanted to be alone for 24 whole hours, now I crave even 24 MINUTES of quiet alone time. 

4) Yoga. I started in the fall of 2019 and it has truly changed my life. I am stronger physically and my body doesn't hurt in the same ways that it did before. It brings me peace and calm and happiness. I find myself having the urge to move my body in ways that I never would have before, and the feeling of being stretched out and relaxed has helped so much with my mental health. 

I don't look overly happy in the second photo but the truth is I was the most content and relaxed that I had been in a long time. These photos were taken on the deck of the tiny home where I escaped for a weekend after my birthday. It was at times a sad weekend for me filled with some hard thoughts and some deep regrets for some things that had recently happened, but also a real shift for me in trying to figure out what the next part of my life was going to look like and how I was going to make me happy.


5) Hugging and snuggling. I've always been very affectionate, and thankfully my hubby and kids are all that way as well so if I ever want someone to fill that need for me, there are always willing participants for a couch or bed snuggle! I didn't realize how much I liked hugging those around me until the world told me I couldn't do it. Once in awhile I sneak in a hug when I can with those that also feel comfortable connecting these days in that way. 



Exciting Desires of Mine
1) Become flexible enough to comfortably touch my toes. This popped into my head tonight at yoga and while I proudly acknowledge how far I have come in the last year, I know I have a long way still to go to reach what I now know in my heart is a realistic goal! It might a 5 year goal, but it is realistic and it can be done and I am determined to make it happen.

2) Get back into reading for pleasure. That would mean way less screen time and social media...and a considerable amount of willpower to actually put the book down and go to sleep. It's a big reason why I stopped reading years ago, once I pick up a book and start reading I just can't stop!

3) To be able to comfortably walk long distances. I am more in shape than I have been in years but have a really long way to go. The 13km walk around Inland Lake is my 2021 goal. 

Over the past month I've made a real effort to get out as often as I can, even if it's just for 20 minutes on my lunch break. The seawall is a new favorite spot for me and with views like this I see many more walks there in the coming months. Fun fact - for YEARS we never walked down there. We always chose the beach trail instead but this past 2 months has changed that. It's minutes from our house and is seriously one of the most beautiful areas of PR!



4) Become a more engaged mom - more reading and playing, less screens for all of us! 

5) To truly realize my worth. I want to spend quality time with and energy on people who really want me in their lives. I've had a lot of friends in my life, but few that have stuck around through the hard times to get through to the good times! I feel like 40 is going to be my best year yet, because I am determined to live my life in a more positive and happy way than I ever have before. 

Things I'm Grateful For
1) My relationship with Jim.
We've fought very hard to get to where we are and I am more proud of us than I've ever been. We walked through hell to get to the place we are now and I am grateful for the work we've both put in to really make our marriage work.

2) The love and devotion of my kids. Those 3 love me for ALL of me. The good mom and the bad mom moments. There is no shortage of hugs and kisses and couch snuggles in my world. I am proud of the humans they are growing into and I can't wait to see the bonds that I have with them when they are adults.

3) The ability to laugh - at myself and at others too. I have a great sense of humour and am surrounded by funny humans. We laugh a whole lot in our house, about random stuff and tough real life stuff too. You can't take life too seriously! 

It's stuff like this that I love that I capture in my funny world with my funny humans! Here are my two silly brown eyed boys connecting via a FaceTime chat while dad was stuck one night on Texada recently. It shows their similarities in looks and personality, it shows a dad's love in that he never misses a chance to call and connect with them, and it shows the sometimes mundane parts of life made fun!
I think I'll love this photo forever 💕


4) My moms and dads. I am very lucky to have 4 parents that love me and my crazy crew unconditionally. Always there to support us and listen, and help out however they can with raising our kids.

5) My health. My early and mid 20's were full of sickness and a Crohn's disease diagnosis that rocked me (and Jim) into a whole new world of medications and hospitalizations. I am grateful that for the most part over the past decade that my disease is relatively mild and doesn't cause me daily grief. I hope that with my decision at 30 to have surgery was the right one and that the disease stays largely in remission for many more years to come. I am working hard at exercising little bits every day and am very hopeful that it will help with my long term overall health.

** These kinds of post make my heart happy, both to write and to go back to and read down the road. Thanks to you if you made it through the whole thing **

No comments:

Post a Comment