Thursday, January 10, 2013

How much are your memories worth to you??

When I dropped the external hard drive off at Staples the other day I paid the $60 diagnostic fee with a gulp of regret for not backing the photos up. Then the girl tells me that the quote for the data recovery will not be based on how much I have to recover, but on the level of damage to the files. The lowest rate possible is a whopping $199, which includes ALL of my data backed up onto a new 500GB external hard drive. Now here's the quandary I'm in, I only need 3 months of photos total off of it and I hate to pay that much money for the small amount of photos I need!

The other thing is that I am worried that if I go ahead with the data recovery and they have to go into my hard drive that that will make the replacement plan warranty null in void and I won't be entitled to a new 1TB hard drive. I will make sure before I go ahead with the recovery work that I will be guaranteed a replacement hard drive, or I may have to make the tough decision to just not bother with the retrieval and it's not worth my money to end up with a smaller hard drive in the end.

At this point all I can do is sit and wait for the quote...and then take the plunge, take another big gulp and pull out the debit card to pay for the data recovery. I know I will NEVER ever let this situation happen again to me. I will from now on ALWAYS have my photos backed up in more than 1 spot at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment