Sunday, February 10, 2013

Love, Understanding and Acceptance

Since I got pregnant I have waited for the time that James felt the baby move for the first time, hoping that somehow it would make it seem more real to him.

Last week while reading stories to James I told him the baby was kicking and asked if he wanted to feel it, he politely said "uummmm no thank you Mommy." I don't know whether he just didn't understand it or didn't like the idea of baby kicking Mommy but he was really not interested. He was more than happy to give the baby hugs, kisses and cheetas but really not to try and feel it moving.

Fast forward to tonight and I asked if he wanted to say goodnight to the baby and he laid his head on my belly and said "hi baby" and right at that moment the baby kicked and got him right in the ear. I expected him to get upset but he just said bolt upright and said to me "Mommy the baby kicked me" with a huge smile on his face.

Then what he said next I knew I had to write down as I knew I wouldn't remember: "Hi Baby, my name is James Barrows, this is my Mommy." Then he said..."this is my book, baby" and as he's talking the baby kept kicking him. I said to him that baby recognized his voice and that's why it kept kicking and to keep talking to it. Then he said he was done, and good night baby and I love you.

It was an absolutely adorable moment. It was then that I realized that he really does love the baby, as much as he can without it being here, and perhaps feeling baby move gave him a bit more of an understanding. But most of all, I really hope that when this baby is born that he accepts he or she with the love and open arms and hugs that he so freely shows so many people in his world.

I am so honoured to be this little guy's Mommy and I can't wait to do it all over again in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment