Sunday, February 3, 2013

3 years ago today...Torch Relay Memories

3 years ago today I was experiencing one of the best days of my entire life.

The Vancouver 2010 Olympics Torch Relay was coming to Powell River and I had been one of the lead organizers of the days events. For the two years before the Olympics I had been the Coordinator of the local PR Spirit of BC Committee. These committees were formed in BC communities in preparation for the leadup and excitement of the Olympics. About 1 year before the start of the Torch Relay in October 2008 the route was announced and Powell River was honoured to not only be part of it, but to have a coveted evening performance spot as well. The City of Powell River formed a task force that was comprised of the Spirit Committee, and many other local people including RCMP officers, performers, choreographers, and just generally great volunteers. My boss and Spirit Committee chair Joyce, coworker and friend Michele and my mom were just 3 of those that stood with me on this amazing team.

We worked together meeting monthly, weekly then finally daily, for a whole 14 months before the torch would arrive in Powell River. I was fortunate enough to also travel to Victoria when the Torch started in October 2009 and see the major celebration there, as well as performances in Duncan and Nanaimo. Watching those first few days of celebrations made me even more excited for the show I knew we were going to be putting on just a few short months later.

In the months leading up to our day we accomplished so many things as a task force. In getting the word out there about the days events, I was a weekly voice on the radio and face on Shaw TV and many people here in town knew who I was based on the huge publicity our torch relay celebration received. We applied for and were granted thousands of dollars towards our celebration, we chose and surprised our amazing torch bearer (the wonderful judo phenomenon Abby Lloyd) with the news she would carry our torch, and made huge decisions about fireworks, merchandise sales, bleachers, staffing, volunteers, traffic and parking logistics, etc.  Not a single thing wasn't discussed and I swear sometimes I felt like it was all in my head at one time. I was the busiest I had ever been in my work and also the happiest too. I was doing what I absolutely loved, planning events, and my time to pull it all off was almost here.

The morning of the torch's arrival in PR started early and with one last meeting with our traveling torch relay coordinator. The day was extremely exciting and I felt already proud of all that we had accomplished and couldn't wait to see how it all came together. When the torch arrived on the noon ferry a bunch of us were there waiting and honking horns, then as it started its route through our towns streets back to the Complex site we went to ensure set up was on track and on time. From the fireworks displays, to the travelling stage, to the food truck and volunteer tents, everything was coming together and it was only a matter of time before young Abby and her very excited parents arrived at the Complex to await the torch bearer bus that would take Abby to where she would take the final torch and run onto the stage to light the cauldron. I still often see Abby's proud Dad Jeff around town and he still to this day is happy and friendly and I know those days are ones he will never forget either.

Fast forward now to the start of the show. Nothing had prepared me for how awesome it would be. The hundreds of kids and adults singing our special song, the thousands of people in the crowds, the just barely holding off February weather and me, being surrounded by those I loved best in the world, watching a show that I had literally poured my heart and soul into for over a year. I was emotional at the thought of what we had all accomplished and knowing the huge part I had in that made me feel more proud of myself than I had ever been in my entire life to that point. Then the big moment came where Abby ran through the crowd and up to the cauldron to light the torch. I got so choked up emotionally and knew I was going to cry, but let myself be part of that moment and the tears flowed freely. Moments later our huge rooftop fireworks display began and people stood in absolute awe. When it was all over and the crowd cheered I remember thinking....I can't believe it's over...and wow, do my feet and hips ever hurt! Remember now, I was almost 30 weeks pregnant and my very active baby had been kicking his feet and loving every minute of the celebration like I had.

That night I fell into bed completely exhausted at around midnight with one more full day ahead of exciting torch relay celebrations. Joyce, Michele, Jim and I had decided to follow the torch along the peninsula and catch 3 more celebrations (Sechelt, Langdale Ferry Terminal and aboard a special torch relay ferry sailing). Five hours after I fell into bed I was awoken to my alarm and up I got to witness a part of the actual torch relay route, right outside my front door where one of my own neighbours and friends Jared ran the torch. Then we rushed to beat the torch onto the highway to ensure we would make the Saltery Bay ferry. We did in fact drive all the way to Vancouver and back in one day but it was so worth it to say I had witnessed 8 different torch relay celebrations.

It truly was one of the most special times and events in my whole life and definitely one that I know I will never forget. Below are a bunch of photos of those special days.

Me, Joyce and Michele in Victoria for the Torch Relay Start

Nanaimo Celebration

The Torch arrives in Powell River



Me and one of the mascots

Abby and I after the celebration


The rooftop fireworks

Michele and I with Joyce and her torch after her turn at running it. Wish I could have seen it but was at the celebration site watching the beginning of the show.

Early the next morning




Jared with the torch



At the Saltery Bay Ferry Terminal


VANOC crew on the ferry

Sechelt Celebration





Langdale Ferry Terminal






Waiting for the ferry to make the long trek home




No comments:

Post a Comment