Friday, March 21, 2014

As if he could get any cuter?!

Well, we had our appointment in Comox and I'm happy to say that all went really well! We definitely got the answers we were looking for but maybe not the solution we were hoping for. James's eyesight was as we suspected was really not good on one side and as such he will be getting glasses after all. The problem with his drooping left eyelid that we detected when he was a baby has in fact created not a lazy or crossed right eye but just an overcompensation for lack of eye muscle on the left side which is causing his right eye to turn up to be able to accommodate the limited sight in the bad eye. The doctor did say that it was good that we brought him in when we did, so I'm relieved that my sister did mention it to me or it could have been a long time before his eye sight was checked. 

I wish I could say I took the news about the glasses really well, but I can admit that I didn't. I am his Mommy and although we had kinda sorta talked between us about him wearing glasses I can easily admit that I was shocked and even a little bit sad. We all know that some kids these days can be assholes and I'm worried. I'm worried that he will be bullied in school and will be teased by other kids. I am worried that it will impact how he plays sports and how many sports he will be able to comfortably play while wearing his glasses. We've promised to get him some of those sporty looking plastic frame glasses with the head strap once he starts playing more organized sports in a few years and I really hope that they will encourage him to continue to love sports the way he does now! The key I think with the bullying will be to teach him to stand up for himself if someone does say something mean and to just continue to be the sweet, happy, loving little boy he is. Well that's what I'm going to teach him, his Daddy on the other hand plans to teach him to punch other little kids in the noses if he gets picked on!! Hahahahah......I keep telling Jim that probably ISN'T the best way to promote a non-bullying environment :o)

We went today to pick out some frames for his regular glasses and even though he seems excited and okay with wearing them, I am also of course worried about whether we will have a battle on our hands to actually get him to keep them on.  I think the idea of them right now is way better than what the reality may be when they get here next week. My biggest hope is that he will quickly realize how much better he is able to see with them and won't fight me on it. Only time will tell I suppose!!

I of course did take a couple of photos today of him with the frames on but I will wait till we get them home with his lenses then I will take a few nice pictures of him in them and post for you all to see.

For now I will just leave you with just two cute pre-glasses photos of my adorably handsome almost 4 year old James! 


PS: are you wondering how he got the scratches on his nose? He tried to jump ON Daddy's back but instead jumped completely OVER Daddy's back and landed squarely on his nose on the carpet below. Hehehehehehe.....his first real carpet burn and it's on his face!!

One last thing....his eyes in the above photo are really dialated from the drops they put in them at the ophthalmologists office!!


No comments:

Post a Comment