Monday, September 21, 2015

I always said I'd never suggest it...but I was wrong!!

James is officially signed up for hockey and I'm as surprised as the next person!

I always said that I wouldn't willingly put him into it unless or until he asked us to do it. It's not that I'm against hockey, it's just that I'm not a fan of cold arenas, early mornings and expensive weekend trips away IF he decided he loved it and stuck with it (which if he shows a real interest this year then I would of course encourage him to stick with it). For the past 2 years he's been completely obsessed with playing hockey in my parents driveway and always says he wants to play on the ice, but up until now I wasn't really convinced.

Jim and I were talking about which fall activities to sign James up for we and we naturally started talking about learning how to skate. When we suggested skating lessons to James he seemed really into it. I started looking into it some more and was shocked to discover that CanSkate registration was considerably more expensive than hockey was. And that was only for 12 weeks! At least hockey goes for almost double that amount of time and even with the cost of used equipment it's still very reasonable. So, we asked him what he thought and he decided that yes he wanted to try out hockey, even though right now he can't skate at all. We've told him that if he commits to it he has to stick with it for the season and even understanding that he wants to do it...so we're going with it. At least 3 of his little buddies from school are in the same league which I think is helping (or in my case, hurting) our cause. We'll see how he feels when he has all of the pads on and is on the ice in his skates for the first time! I'm sure there will be many pictures to come!

Here he is signing his part of the parent/player contract.


No comments:

Post a Comment