Thursday, March 26, 2020

I know my heart is in the right place and that's what matters the most

First off, YES those are extra kids in my house that are not residents of our home. Secondly, NO we are not having play dates just for fun and to ease the boredom. Thirdly, YES I very much know and RESPECT the recommendations that we are to self-isolate and not be around anyone who doesn't reside with us, however, in our world that just doesn't work for every circumstance. Jim's job on Texada is still operating and up until early next week I have still been going into the office most days to work while Jim has been home from work on holidays and in the mornings. 

After VIU's year end next week, I am extremely fortunate that for the foreseeable future I am going to be working from home, which means that I am able to still continue with watching kids while I'm home with my own 3. 

 I have been watching Hads and Kins for almost 3 years now and Katelyn and Tye for around the past 6-8 months. Both sets of kids mom's are essential service workers (nurses) and K&T's dad is a small business owner. PLEASE know that I understand that this is NOT a choice that everyone would make, but it is a choice that Jim and I have made and we feel comfortable and totally at peace with it. 

I love all 4 of these extra kids (and any of the other extras that we may end up with down the road) and not for a SECOND when I heard that schools were closing did it cross my mind that I would back out on any of them now. It's just not who I am.The work their parents are doing is invaluable to our community and I so respect the position that they are in with needing to work and run their business. In our every day life I feel like we go above and beyond to be of assistance with watching other kids and we will continue to do it in the months to come. I would take in more kids if I had to for other essential service workers too. Yes, I understand that this does increase our risk of catching the virus seeing as we are having extra people in our home, but because of that risk we are not seeing my parents, my aunt and uncle, my sister and brother in law, etc. We have literally seen no one face to face except these 4 kids for the past 2 weeks and I plan to keep it that way. All of the parents involved here understand that if anyone gets sick that every day/week is up for discussion and that is what makes it easy for us to be as flexible as we can.

I'm sharing this not because I overly care if people agree with our choices or not, but because I do want to take photos of them over the next few weeks in our Adventures of Homeschooling and wanted to be able to share without people thinking we were just having them here for fun. I've had the photos below all week and wanted to share but didn't for fear of the questions I would be asked. I'm hoping that this will explain my position on it. I am okay if you judge me for my choices (although I do hope that you won't), but in my heart I know that I'm doing it for the right reasons, and to me that is all that matters in the end. 

Oooohhhh....let the fun begin! Next week we're going to spend our days together doing fun stuff like arts and crafts, outdoor walks and scavenger hunts, some math worksheets, reading practice, a science experiment or two, and lots of outdoor recess and lunch time too! Wish me luck because with this crew it could get very interesting! 

Today we did some coloring, tomorrow we break out the paints for some rock painting!

I love this girl. She's got a heart of gold and is the best helper ever. 

These two were adorable helping me paint the hearts on the door at the school

Yummy new favorite snack - strawberries and Nutella!

We just set up the Wii again in the basement and now I have to figure out what school subject that could relate to for those afternoon tea breaks I will want to take. PS: Kennedy's face is how I envision I will feel on some days! :) hahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment