Tuesday, October 1, 2013

His flights are booked and he's really going

We've known for a while now that things were headed this way and unfortunately the time has come for Jimmy to go away to work. We are able to make ends meet with him at Modern and me on maternity leave but with winter layoffs coming we saw some lean and tough months ahead so we made the huge, life-changing, family-time-sacrificing decision for him to go away.

We talked about this possibility back when I was pregnant but I really wanted to wait till baby was here and a few months old before we talked about it again. So, when the opportunity presented itself that the company my uncle works for is hiring for a new project in Kitimat we decided to go for it. He applied on Sunday and we got the call on Monday morning to get things started. We had to gather some paperwork, he did a drug test on Friday in Courtenay, completed an online Construction Safety course and the final step was booking his flights. He will be working for Ledcor on a 20 in and 10 out rotation. The money is incredible and is really the only reason why we are making this huge decision. It's a massive change for Jim and lots of hard hours ahead and of course a big change for me and the boys too without Daddy being home with us every night.

He leaves PR on October 13 and will return somewhere around the beginning of November. With having 10 days off he will have at least 8 full days at home with us to do fun family stuff. When you look at the fact that most Dads out there only get to spend 8 days a month with their kids and in that time they have household stuff to do too I think this change could be great for us. Will we miss him when he's gone? Absolutely! But will me and my boys survive? Again absolutely we will. I know my parents are there to help and my Mom has encouraged us to make this change for quite some time by saying she is available to help when I need her. We will have some sad and lonely days I'm sure but we will make it through this. He is going away to make a better life for our family and for that I love him even more than I ever have. We are both making sacrifices to our quality of life in order to set our family up for a better future. I'm proud of us...and maybe a little bit scared too! There is a lot of "boy" and "Daddy" jobs around here that I rarely have to do...I think my days are gonna get a whole lot busier!

Our new purchases to get us through his time away. FaceTime is all set up and ready to go. Luckily James knows how to use it and will appreciate being able to see Daddy even if the hugs from me won't be the same!

Wish us luck in our new life adventures...and keep following along as I'm sure there will be even more funny stories and pictures to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment