Saturday, May 4, 2013

A daugther's worst fear recognized...

There is no easy way to write it, think about it, or talk about it, so here it is...my Mom found out this week that she has breast cancer. For a daughter like me who worships the ground my mother walks on, you can just imagine the pain that hearing this news caused me. She is of course upbeat and positive and now 3 days after learning about it and knowing a plan is in place, I can now say I am too.

I'm not gonna lie though, those first 2 days were some of the hardest of my life, fearing and thinking the worst, and wondering how the heck I was going to be able to be the supportive and positive person that she needs me to be during these tough times ahead. You see, anyone who knows me knows that she has always been MY rock, my support, my tell it like it is even if I don't like it person, and I know although she will still continue to be this person, it's time for me to step up and be that person for her too. I am no longer a kid, I am a grown adult child that has a parent with cancer. I am by no means the first of course and sadly won't be the last, however, now is my time to show those people that may doubt that I can handle it, that I can and will be who my Mama deserves for me to be.

Over the years I have often thought about how the numbers and odds were definitely stacked against our big family. With 2 parents, 10 kids, and 10 grand and great grandkids, there was a whole lot of chance in this day and age of someone ending up with cancer. I would be sad no matter who it was in my family that was affected by it, but also can admit that I bet that hearing it was my Mom was probably the hardest one for me to bear. From the day I was born she has been the one to hold me, love me, care for me, teach me right from wrong and show me what being a good person, wife and mom is all about. She is an incredibly strong woman in every way and I know in my heart that she will beat this 100%. I no longer fear the outcome as I just know there is no other option, for her, for me or for the rest of our family. We will face this challenge together, and we will beat this thing together!

Please don't feel that you need to apologize or say that you are sorry to hear about this, just send your positive thoughts my Mom's way and keep her in your prayers in the coming weeks and months.

A favorite photo of my Mom taken at their annual friends
and family garage sale in 2012

And my favorite photo probably ever taken of us together,
just after James's 1st Birthday Party

2 comments:

  1. <3 Am definitely thinking of you and your mom at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending positive thoughts to you and your mom! She is one of a kind and very strong and stubborn! If anyone can beat this she can.

    ReplyDelete