Sunday, January 8, 2023

3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months

Someone told me when we first got Koda to be patient and kind and understanding with him in getting used to his new surroundings. They said give it 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months and he’ll be a different dog each time. 3 days in was a scary time for me. I was falling in love with him and was so scared that something would happen that would make us not be able to keep him. I feared his old family would ask for him back (this happened to us 3 months before and it was devastating), and I feared that Kennedy would be too scared for us to keep him.  

Well, fast forward to 3 weeks in, and he is a different dog than he was those first 3 scared days. He’s settled into our life and our home and has formed bonds with each of us individually. It was around day 3 when he first started trusting us enough to sleep beside our bed at night  

Funny story….I’ll never forget the first few days he was here, he seemed to be terrified of our fireplace in the den. He avoided walking by it and would stop and just look at it but never got close to it. One day he waited till Jordie was standing in front of it before he ran past it, never a walk, always a gallop as far away from it as he could get  

Fast forward to now…laying on the floor snuggled up with me in front of that same fireplace. 

I think he knows he is loved and will be taken care of. He is safe and he is home. 





No comments:

Post a Comment