Sunday, May 1, 2016

What was I thinking? But I wouldn't have it any other way!

We got an email a few weeks back saying that James's T-ball league needed a division manager. I talked to Jim about it and he said the same thing I was thinking "you don't have time to do it" so I waited a few days and then just decided to send an email saying that if no one else had stepped up that I would do it. I got an email back saying thanks, but someone else agreed so you are off the hook. The very next day Jim was at karate and started talking to a dad of a kid that is James's age and he said that he had volunteered to do it too and had accepted the position. Jim said that I had also emailed but was told someone else got it. I emailed the guy's wife, because he had expressed to Jim that he kind of wished he hadn't volunteered, and told her that if he really didn't want to do it that I was more than happy to take it on. A few hours later he called and thanked me profusely and emailed me all the stuff that he had received from the league.

The next 4 or 5 nights I spent an hour or two a night putting teams together and making up a schedule (which I then had to change because people in PR are notorious for signing up late for shit so we ended up needing another team!). I also emailed with coaches and made up a little info sheet explaining how t-ball is played (I honestly thought it was the same as regular ball except with a T....nope...totally wrong on that). I also explained how the league tracks parent volunteer times and started a FB group so that I could easily get information to parents instead of just sending out mass emails and hoping they were getting them.

Anyways, the first night of T-Ball arrived and I showed up at the field with envelopes put together for the coaches and boxes of uniforms and was nervous to actually start talking to the 50 or so parents present and all the little kids, but luckily last years Division Manager stepped in to introduce me and from there we called out the teams and off they went. It was definitely a lot of work to get things started but I'm sure next year will be much easier to pull off because I'll have my templates all ready and will just need to plunk kids names in and make a new schedule if we end up with more or less teams. I really do love being involved in any way that I can, and it's true that I really wouldn't have it any other way. This is how I feel my skills are best put to use because trust me on this one...no one wants to see this mama out on the field actually playing or coaching!

James was lucky enough to get on a great team this year with some kids he knew and some he didn't which was fantastic. I think it's gonna be a really fun season for all of us and some weeks we will be at the ball park every night from Mon-Thurs between Jim and James's ball schedule. May not be too many blogs happening but we'll see!

James is #1 on the green and white First Credit Union team! Anyone who wants to come out and watch he plays on Tuesdays and Thursday from 6:00-7:15.

Huddling up to do a team cheer

The first night was just a practice and get to know your teams night. I was busy walking around making sure no one had any questions so I didn't get to take many photos of James at all. I'm sure over the course of the season I will though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment