Friday, April 23, 2021

Photo Friday - the reason I take photos of everything

The other day Kennedy brought me a book that I haven't read to her in a long time (probably at least a year or more) and when we opened up the front cover we found this and it brought tears to my eyes. For Kennedy's baby shower people brought us books instead of cards and we love looking back through them all these years later and seeing the special messages in them.

 For those that might not know, Bumma (aka Barb) was my step-dad George's first wife, and my step-sister Andra's mom (I never refer to them as step, but in this case I will so it's not confusing). She was also one of my mom's best friends when I was little (that's a long family story we'll save for another day). She was Auntie Barb to me for many many years. 

Bumma was so very special in our world and we miss her lots. We talk about her often with the kids and remember the fun times we all shared together. I can't believe she's been gone almost 2 years already! From the very first day that Barb met Jim when we first came to Powell River for a visit, she was a huge fan and they just clicked. They shared an incredible bond over the years, filled with many Saturday game nights. I always knew he was her favorite Barrows, even though she'd known me my whole life. I always wished I had been closer with her over the years but I was glad that Jim got to spend that special time with her.

Bumma was a constant presence at all of the kids birthday parties and many family holiday dinners (you see, our family is family no matter what, divorce included). She came to Christmas concerts and baseball games. She always gave the best hugs and let the kids play with anything at her house. They loved her electric calculator on her desk the very best. 

She had the best laugh in the world and a sense of humour that would make even the hardiest of people blush sometimes. She was well loved by us all and she is missed always.

Whenever my family makes fun of me for the thousands (yes thousands) of photos that I take every year, I remind them that when they die I'll be able to share memories and photos of them from over the years. Others may not get it, but to me it matters a lot, so even if I do get made fun of for it, I still continue to take the photos and I hope that one day they will appreciate all of the memories I've saved and shared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment