Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My baby is growing up and I'm not sure what I think about that

How can I even explain how excited, happy and overwhelmingly sad I am that James's big boy room is just about complete?

I remember the excitement 2 1/2 years ago when I was pregnant and we were creating our baby's nursery and the care and joy that we took in working on it together to create a space our baby would come home to. Well I can't believe that 2 years later we have just about finished the huge project of creating his new room.

Because we decorated the nursery in a gender neutral Winnie the Pooh theme we had always planned to redo our den upstairs into our first child's big kid room so that Baby Barrows #2 could just go directly into the already done nursery. No, there is no Baby #2 yet but we knew the time was coming for the transition to happen before the craziness of summer hits.

For months now everyone has been telling me it's time to move him out of the crib. Although I don't totally agree because I like him contained, I am going for it and hoping the switch goes smoothly. Some days he seems so grown up that a big boy room seems like a great idea and then other days he seems like my baby and I cringe at the thought of him being able to climb out of his bed and come and wake me up in the middle of the night!!

For the start of the transition we started to talk to James about his new room and take him into the very disorganized and crowded den and tell him it was going to be his new big boy room. When we were in Nanaimo 2 weeks ago we spent a huge chunk of the weekend shopping for stuff for his room and he kept saying b b room and b b bed (his way of saying big boy is b b). When we got home off the ferry he went straight up to the door, knocked on it and said to me, b b room. He gets that it's his new room but not sure if he really gets that he is going to live in there.

This past weekend we worked a ton on sanding furniture, priming it and then painting the heck out of it. Not to mention a complete paint overhaul from a dusty green color to a BRIGHT blue and white. I am loving what it looks like and can't wait to post the before, during and after photos. We are off to pick up the mattress for his bed tonight and then will install the bed rails after he goes to bed tonight...in his crib....for the very last time! Our last projects tomorrow night will be having him help me make his new big boy bed and moving his name letters from above his baby room closet to his big boy room closet. Those letters are how he has learned to spell his name and I keep telling him they will move with him to his new room and hopefully he will find peace in those letters if he is scared to be in the new space.

Wish me luck everyone, this Mommy is struggling with my little boy growing up!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I know the feeling! For me, lately, it's been the sheer size of Maeve that's been making me miss the little tiny baby that she was!

    ReplyDelete