Sunday, June 24, 2012

My big boy helper

Ever since James learned about a year ago how to turn on Nana and Papa's dishwasher he has loved to help wherever and whenever he could! It all started with this video below that was taken back in September while my parents were in Europe on vacation. He had been helping for a few months by this point but was having so much fun with it that I'm glad we took a video of it.

Then from there it moved on to helping with the laundry. This means he stands beside the dryer while I pass him clothes from the washer to put in there. Then he has to push the button or he is not a happy camper! Then he stands on the ledge beside the washer and behind the basket and throws the clothes into the machine. This is a task that I actually really enjoy sharing with him and hope that he will always love to help me with it (yeah right, I know the chances are slim to none!)





Back in early February James and I were home for the day together on the weekend while Jim was out on a course and I decided to make some yummy cranberry orange bread that we had gotten as a gift and James seemed interested in helping, so we pulled a chair up and went at it!



Then a few weeks later it was spaghetti sauce!





Then it was muffins...but this time Daddy was home so he took the photos!




Next came MILKSHAKE making with Daddy! He isn't a huge fruit eater so at least this way we know he's getting some...and he loves making them! This has become at least a weekly fun activity!








Last week when doing our after dinner chores he was helping me with the dishwasher again and needed to put some recycling away, so I opened the right drawer in the pantry, put the stuff on the floor, and let him go for it!



Other chores he likes helping with are unloading the dishwasher, sweeping the floor and putting the groceries away! Not to mention his absolute love of grocery shopping. Almost every single day he will ask us if we are going grocery shopping and whether he gets to sit in the buggy. When we do go there he is such a joy to be with and says hello to everyone in the store, except for the poor old guy when he was with my mom that he told to "stop it!" hahahaha...getting such a personality that's for sure!

It's not just chores that he loves to help me with, he also loves to help me get ready for work. This includes sitting on the bathroom counter, opening my jewelry box, grabbing me my watch and picking out the necklace and earrings I will wear each day, and helping me brush my teeth and my hair (and telling me I'm pretty).

In the winter months when I would put my boots on he would sit on the floor with me and zip up my boots and then stand up and "pull" me up and then say "strong". He just loves to be helpful. And now that it's summer and I mainly wear flip flops he just loves to help me out by bringing them to me and "helping" me put my foot into them. Watch the short video below to see what I mean!



He really is such a good little boy and such a joy to be around most days. He is always willing to help out when asked and I firmly believe that by teaching your kids to do things they grow up feeling more empowered and independent. I will always encourage him to help others and will hope that he always gets joy in doing so.

One last video of how he helps us put the dishwasher on here at home!








1 comment: