Friday, October 14, 2016

My thoughts on Baby #3 and anticipating some questions people may have

One of my favorite posts I ever wrote was done very shortly after Jordie was born. It was called "The Question I KNOW many of you are thinking... and it was a hugely read post on here. It was all about my thoughts about welcoming a second little boy instead of the little girl I was so desperately hoping and wishing for. I thought when I shared my pregnancy announcement post a few days ago that this would be another fun spin on that kind of post, where I answer questions that I'm sure others may be thinking (or I'm just thinking about them!)

I know a lot of people are curious by nature (I am one of those kinds of people normally) and some will wonder things but either won't be brave enough to ask or will feel silly if they want to know. Some of these are questions I've already been asked, or some are just things I've thought about in the last 5 really long weeks when I did a whole lot of thinking to prevent myself from doing any talking.

Here are the top 10 things I thought of right away.

(1) Are you happy? Yes I am now happy about this pregnancy. I will admit though that the first 2-3 weeks after I found out were really hard for me to digest that it was really happening again, and I lived in fear (and if I'm being honest maybe a little bit of hope) that something might happen and we would end up going back to our newfound plans of a happy little family of 4. But as time went on and we got closer and closer to seeing the baby on the ultrasound and to telling our boys I found myself changing, I started to get upset and really worried if something happened. I know that life happens the way it's supposed to and I believe that this baby is a true gift that is going to teach me so many things in my life. I've heard that 3rd babies are just the very best ever (hehehehe...right Mom?)

(2) What did your mom think when you told her? She was so excited too which was a huge relief to me. I was probably more worried about telling my mom than anyone else. We had talked a fair amount over the past few months about us being done having babies and I felt like she was really happy that that was the choice we had made. I think she knew (having had three kids herself) that having two kids would just be a financially and physically "easier" future for us. I know she also worries about my health and whether my Crohn's will stay away to allow me to live the best life I possible can with my family. Also with how much she and my dad help us out, I was worried that she just wouldn't feel up to helping out like she did before and would be upset to be put in that position. But in reality, she was just as excited this time as she has been the last 2 times. Or maybe even more so because this one was such a shock to her. With the boys she knew we were trying so it definitely wasn't much of a shock, this time she had sold all her baby stuff and was really mentally prepared with having no new grand babies. She is excited to spoil and snuggle a new little one....let's see how she feels about going back to the young toddler/potty training years!

This was the look on her face when she heard the line in the boy's video about the baby being in mommy's belly...I'd say she figured it out right away! :)

(3) Is this a surprise baby or a planned baby? Kind of both. We did try for almost 9 months to have a 3rd baby but it didn't happen. And then we weren't very smart once we decided to move forward and then I ended up getting pregnant after we were done trying. So, kind of both.

(4) Are you hoping it's a girl this time? This is a tough one to answer actually. Of course part of me is hoping it's a girl, but I can honestly and truthfully tell you that I am kind of scared of little girls and would rather have a little boy because that's a crazy beast I feel like I know and am comfortable with. I would love to have a daughter so hopefully we have a great mother/daughter relationship when she's older, but I don't absolutely have my heart set on it by any means. I think though based on a lot of my FB comments there are going to be a lot of my friends and family that might be shocked and disappointed if it comes out a boy. Everyone is hoping for me for a little girl to finish off our family, and maybe that's what will happen, and maybe it won't :)

If it is a little girl I have my fingers crossed for my red haired baby finally!


(5) Are you crazy to be doing this again? YES, I am feeling really crazy these days about this decision. I think I thought it was a better idea than maybe it is? But the reality is that it is happening, and I am going to love that baby like crazy, just like I do my boys. I am now starting to get excited and the terror I was feeling is starting to calm down a little bit. Of course I still worry about some things like money (but really, who doesn't) but my worries about love and time aren't there anymore. Those are things I can control and I know we've got more than enough love to give to another baby and thankfully I love being busy which I'm sure with 3 kids we are definitely going to be that!

(6) Are you going to find out the gender this time? Or....please tell me you are going to find out this time! Most asked question/comment so far and YES this time we are going to find out baby's gender for a couple of different reasons:
(a) I want to be really prepared this time, both physically and mentally. I don't want to have a newborn girl and then have to get to rid of 13 odd bins of boy shit.
(b) I want the boys to have some time to adjust to what the new baby will be. James is at an age where I think this is what's best for him. I could just see him hoping for the next 6 months it's a boy and then it coming out a girl and him just not being a happy camper!
(c) I would never want to take the chance that when the baby was born that there was any disappointment on that day because I have admitted before that the first 30 minutes of Jordie's life I was very upset that he was a boy...then I fell in love with him the instant I held him.
(d) I want to have an excuse to have a big party with our friends and family and all find out at the same time! I am really looking forward to this actually and I feel like no matter what the gender is that moment will be one that we will all never forget.

I think I want something like this...but with the top words from the boys sign
   

(7) Are the boys excited? James is so excited to be a "double" big brother and Jordie doesn't quite understand yet what's up. Within a day of finding out James was already talking to the baby and telling it that "tomorrow is going to be a good day, I promise" and of course Jordie followed suit a few mornings later by asking me when I was half asleep if he could kiss the baby good morning. Let's hope they are still excited in 2 or 3 months when baby is big enough to be felt kicking on the outside.

The look on James's face here says it all!
 

(8) Will you take the full year off from work? HELL yes I will. This is the first time I know for sure that I want to and will return to my job. At Tourism PR I went on maternity leave knowing I didn't have a job to go back to and with the Peak, although I did like my job there, I knew I wanted something more challenging so had always planned to look for something else while off on leave. My job at VIU fell into my lap at the perfect time, just as Jordie was turning 1 and I was about to return to the Peak. I love my job at VIU and see this being my long term career path so don't intend to look elsewhere while I'm off.

(9) Ohhhh....you are going to be a busy lady!! Oh, don't I know that! I already feel really busy with working full time, running the strata, taking on the PAC treasurer volunteer stuff and now throw being pregnant and kids in 4 different sports and it makes for some crazy schedules...but to be honest I love being busy and I am looking forward to the challenge. Our summer was so ridiculously busy and although it was tiring, I absolutely LOVED it. I really do love being challenged and I do know that throwing this 3rd baby into the mix is definitely going to do that!

(10) How are you feeling? Tired...very, very tired....all.the.time! The nausea hasn't been bad and this week it's actually getting much better. Compared to my other pregnancy I definitely feel better in that regard. Most days I feel good for about 85% of the day and just nauseous for a little bit of each day but if I can force myself to eat even a little bit it definitely helps with that. The exhaustion has been hard to cope with but thankfully our weekends have been quite slow so I've been able to sneak in some afternoon naps along the way which have been life savers! It's just the days of the work week that I'm finding hard. Most nights I'm just so done by the time I get home at 6 that we eat dinner, get the boys bathed and to bed and then I veg on the couch for an hour or two until I fall into bed by 10 at the very latest. I've even gone to bed as early as 8:30 a few nights!


So, there you have it! The first 10 questions/comments that popped into my head about this pregnancy. If you think of any questions you want me to answer, just let me know and I'd be happy to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment